YouTubeTop Tips for YouTube SafetyMode
- YouTube is incredibly popular with children of all ages. The YouTube SafetyMode enables you to choose whether to limit content on YouTube that might not be against YouTube Community Guidelines but even so may be unsuitable for your children.
- When you opt into YouTube SafetyMode, mature content and age-restricted videos won’t show up in search, related videos, playlists, shows and movies.
Here’s how to do it:
- Go to safety preferences – at the bottom of any page on YouTube – and click the grey ‘Safety’ button to open the preference setting.
- Turn SafetyMode ‘on’ or ‘off’ and click ‘Save’. If you turn it on and you have a YouTube account, you can sign in to your account and lock Safety Mode so that no one else can change the settings whenever YouTube is accessed from that browser. Turning on SafetyMode also activates Google SafeSearch.
- To lock SafetyMode you need to have a You Tube or Google account.
- Setting SafetyMode activates SafeSearch.
- You need to be 13 to have a YouTube account.
- Spend some time watching YouTube with your children and check out what they like.
- Pay particular attention to what is shown in the related video menu when your children search for their favourite videos.